Monday, April 19, 2010

Apples and Oranges..

Two quick items to flash on the blog today.
The first - if some of you may remember from a previous blog post - was knit from this handspun yarn.
SCF - Coffee
Which was spun from some superwash merino and bamboo batts from David at Southern Cross Fibre.
It has since turned into a very thick and squishy cabled beanie for the Big Mac, to keep his ears and head warm this winter, ecspecially as he now rides a bicycle to work in the mornings.
McHabitat
The pattern is 'Habitat' by the very talented Jared Flood. It only took me a couple of days but the pattern was actually pretty challenging. (as in - it actually required me to concentrate).

The second finished object is a 'Citron' shawl. In my view, calling it a shawl is a bit of a misnomer. Knit to pattern directions, it's not really big enough to be considered a shawl, but it IS the perfect size to be a wee bit of texture you just throw around your neck to stay warm. And for that, I love it.
The yarn is handspun, not spun by me, but by the very talented Ali (also known as wooliewombat) and was spun from a merino silk blend in the colourway 'Saffron'. The only real modification I made to the pattern was to change the increases to yarn overs because I wanted the little dots to look like seeds, or a ray of light.
Citron1
I think it worked. At any rate I love it as a finished item and can see it being just the thing to throw on on your way out the door when there's a bit of a chill about during the in between seasons.
Citron3

And oh yeah - I got a new haircut. :p I like it! (a rare thing for me).
~~~~~~~~~~

1 comments:

Donyale said...

Boid! I has a boid too! ( noice hairs too )